Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Finishing off the Cherry Gingham Dress

I've finally finished this dress and worn it for photos!

Last we spoke, the dress was all together but needed finishing touches (hems, buttons, zipper etc) but I'd made the bias tape.  So really, there wasn't a lot to do, but its always the finishing touches that take the time!

I did mention in a previous post that I was changing the way this dress closes.  Because I like my clothing fitted (ie. tight) I find that buttons end up gaping, so with that in mind, I decided to sew the fronts together and put in fake buttons and instead have a zipper in the left side.


The plan when sewing the fronts together was to not make it look too obvious...  I started out by pinning the fronts together:


Then I ran a line of stitching 2/8ths of an inch in front the edge of the right front from where it meets the gingham on the shoulder, to just below where the skirt is sewn together in the pattern instructions.


Then I finished the stitching line down the front of the skirt on the front piece only.  And finally, I went back to the top and sewed a line of stitching on the right side, so what I had was this:


Then I stitched the buttons on so they looked like they were keeping the dress closed, and sewed the bias on the sleeves and the bottom of the skirt.  I just love the way it looks on the sleeves!


Now, a word of warning for anyone else thinking of sewing the fronts of their dresses together...  Make sure you can still get your head through the neck hole!!!!  This didn't even cross my mind when I came up with this idea, and thankfully my head juuuuust fits...

So now - the photos of me wearing the finished Cherry Gingham Dress!!!

A fitted dress with NO GAPING!!!

Gotta love a dress with a pocket...

Ok, so the back is a bit wrinkly... but I have been wearing this all day, so in reality its not that bad... and don't you just love the gingham bias tape finishing the skirt!!!

This is a great dress pattern, and really easy to sew up.  I would like to make it up again in a rayon because I think it would also be fabulous in a fabric with a lovely soft hand and drape.  I'll put it on the list shall I!

Beccie
xxx

19 comments:

  1. How fabulous! I love the gingham bias trim, too. It really makes this dress pop, and what a great idea for a false button front. I may have to try that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remember to make sure you can get it over your head Sarah... I had to laugh at myself :)

      Delete
  2. This looks gorgeous on you! I think the neckline and sleeves are super flattering! And the shoes . . . I love your entire collection . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heres a question for you. When you are choosing a pattern size, do you fit a pattern fairly accurately? I happen to be slightly bottom heavy, so a pattern either is big on top and fits on the bottom or fits on top and too tight on bottom. I tend to buy to fit the top but can have troubles sometimes fitting the bottom correctly in fitted skirts. How does it go for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill :) For your clothes to look nice on they need to fit you properly. I would suggest buying to fit your bottom when the pattern requires it to be fitted there, and adjusting the top to be smaller. Its easier to make something smaller than make it bigger :)

      Delete
    2. I meant, do you fit a specific pattern size accurately yourself personally or do you have a larger top or bottom size....like a 10 bottom and an 8 top? I usually buy to fit my top and then size up for the bottom, but maybe I will try it the other way around and see if it is easier.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic! Love the back view too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute!I am a huge fan of edging with binding tape.It is such a nice touch. Your dress is wonderful.I love the lined pockets,you are so great at fun details! XO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bias tape too, and now that I have my little machine up and running, I will be unstoppable!!!

      Delete
  6. This is really cute! Great fabric.
    -Emily

    Emily's Vintage Visions

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw that print I swooned! How flippin adorable is that??! Omg great job mama-something pretty and comfy to wear casually-I love it! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daffny - I think its super adorable. I'm still tempted to make a matching headpiece :)

      Delete
  8. Wow such fabulous dresses!! I love them! I am so envious of your talents! And your such a doll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The SHOES; to die for!!!!!!!!!! If you have daughter(s) I'll bet they're all up in your closet. I would be, giggles.

    ReplyDelete