Tuesday, April 2, 2013

And now for something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

Recently, my good friend Sasha from Sherbet Birdie (the best pinup photographer in Australia in my opinion) announced the theme for her next shoot day experience - the absolute opulence of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette!

I often help out on these shoot days as an assistant, and with costuming (remember the mermaid tail????) but this time I offered to make the fake cakes to decorate the set!  Fun!!  Now I've never decorated cakes, let alone covered styrofoam fake cakes with fondant, but I can do anything I put my mind to right???

Sasha visited a cake decorating supply store in Sydney and provided me with the styrofoam fake cakes, cake boards, fancy food colouring, sugar paste, and 7kgs of fondant (thats about 14 pounds for you overseas people)!!!!  She also gave me some flowers and ribbons that she had to help me make a start.

First job was covering all the styrofoam fake cakes with the fondant.  And can I say thank goodness for the internet!  I found instructions on how to roll it out properly, and more instructions on how to dye the fondant with the fancy food colouring.  After a few hours solid toil, I was covered in icing sugar from head to toe, had sore and tired wrists, and had these:

All I can say is thank goodness they only have to look good from one angle!!!
The backs on a few of them (especially my first one) are awful!!!

Now came the fun bit - making them pretty!  I went to Spotlight, which is my local go-to for crafting goodies, and bougth some fabulous fake flowers and some ribbon and other trims:


Then I cleared the big dining table, got out my hot glue gun, and went at it!!!


And this is what I created:







Aren't they fabulous!!!!!

Seriously, this was just so much fun!  It was so enjoyable to do something creative that wasn't sewing.

I hope you all had a lovely and peaceful Easter.

Beccie
xxx

PS. It was also my birthday AND my first wedding anniversary last week, so sorry if I was a bit absent...

16 comments:

  1. O...M...G woman! They are amazzzzzzzzing! I am impressed! You are multi-talented! Ahhh love it! What did your friend say when she saw them?? xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Thanks Miss Bunny :) And Sasha LOVED THEM!!!!! I sent her the pics one by one as I finished them and her reaction made me want to out-do myself each time :) Such a fun experience!

      Delete
  2. Wow! They are just divine! I really love the one with the birdie! So cute. And the pink and pearls just make them so special and so Marie Annoinette!

    Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are going to look so luxxe on the set!!! And thanks for the birthday and anniversary wishes :)

      Delete
  3. Those are fabulous! I love the glittery bits. On our reception we had a fake layer to give it height.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that the styrofoam 'fake' cakes existed for just that reason Mariela! I think I saw them on that 'My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding' series when one girl had something like 20 cakes and only a few of them were real :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, they ARE fabulous!! The looks so pretty and delicate! Very good job!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look very pretty! What a great friendship you must have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do - I must say its fabulous to have a great friend who is a brilliant photographer - we get to collaborate on so many projects and they really push my creative bounds :)

      Delete
  6. wow!those are gorgeous! i esp love the four tiered one. happy belated birthday and anniversary!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is the only one with sparkly rinestones instead of pearls... couldn't help myself :)

      Delete
  7. Your cakes look great! :) Happy birthday and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly lovely! Happy birthday and anniversary as well!

    ReplyDelete