Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What do you do when someone asks you to make them a Mermaid tail...

... run away, screaming NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha just kidding.

One of my besties, the lovely Miss Sasha, has a company called Sherbet Birdie.  Sherbet Birdie is Australia's leading vintage pin-up photography studio, and her photographs are incredible.  Check out her Facebook page (or her website) for a closer look at what she does.  But here is one she took of me:

I don't want to ruin the magic, but I wasn't sitting on this carousel horse...

Anyway, Miss Sasha has a Mermaid themed shoot day coming up in a couple of weeks and its a fabulous opportunity to shoot with Miss Sasha with all the bells and whistles of her normal shoots, but for a reduced price.  And as an extra added bonus, the photos will be published in the US magazine Drive-In, which is also an incredible opportunity.


So yes, that ALSO means that my creation will be published in Drive-In magazine.  Oh! My! God!!!

Anyway, Miss Sasha gave me a wonderful starting point for this Mermaid tail:

How divine is this.  I mean honestly!!!

 I'm not sure where it came from, but its a Leg Avenue skirt that I'd say was initially part of a mermaid costume that you could wear to a fancy dress party.  The skirt is made from a cheap nasty satin (that I'd only use as a lining fabric) and is COVERED with coin sequins in graduating sizes from 1cm across to 1inch across.  And while the sequins have given me headaches, I am very thankful for them - imagine having to sew these all on from scratch!?!


So the plan is to lengthen this skirt by about a foot, have it open at the back with ties so it will suit a number of sizes, and add a tail to the bottom.

Sounds easy right!

.... I can't hear anyone agreeing with me....

Wish me luck!

Beccie
xxx


8 comments:

  1. That is already a really beautiful skirt, I can't wait to see it made into a tail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Cool! And to be in the magazine! WooHoo!


    PS I am totally bummed that the carousel horse isnt real hahaha I keep saying one day Im going to sit on that horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!!! Its going to be amazing!!!

      Keep the mystery going about the carousel horse I say... or you could be too honest like me and say "I'm going to sit on a stool one day but end up looking like I'm sitting on that horse!"

      Delete
  3. Wow, that will be so beautiful! And what an awesome opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited - you have no idea! Thinking about signing up for the mermaid photoshoot myself!

      Delete
  4. OMG, that is stunning!!! You're so creative. I don't think I could ever have enough patience to work on something so detailed.

    The Fictionista
    {sean-mackenzie.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete