Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My First Sewing Effort

So here are a couple of photos of the coat that I sewed - my first effort at sewing from a vintage pattern. And not only that but it was my first attempt at adjusting a pattern to fit me! I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I made it from curtain material believe it or not (not the rubber backed stuff) and put in a 5mm think felt lining in the bodice to help keep me warm. The whole thing is then lined in lovely sky blue satin.

I have yet to put the buttons on though... the vintage buttons I bought on etsy are too big to fit in the automatic buttonhole foot on my sewing machine. This means that I have to work out how to do them manually with the sewing machine or do them by hand (yuck - don't like hand sewing!)

3 comments:

  1. Love it, what pattern did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an Advance pattern from 1951 or there abouts

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Your first vintage pattern make too! I am sooo impressed. It's gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete